Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Driving - People Must Feel Guilty

I was driving into work today and traffic was moving along just below the speed limit at 50 mph (posted speed was 60 mph)and things were moving smoothly. Then all of the sudden everyone slammed on thier breaks (not a good thing on roads that are wet and could have icy spots). I was thinking something must have happened, but them I realized that there was apolice car on the shoulder of the road with someone pulled over. Trafic then moved up the road at just under 40 mph - 20 mph under the posted speed. Why?

Now if the speed limit is 60 and you are traveling at 50, you are well below the posted speed. Why would you think you have to slow down just because a policeman in present. You can do the speed limit and maybe get away with a few MPH over the limit. Then to travel at even a slower speed for about the next 1/2 mile or more just because you saw a policeman. Is it a guilty conscience for all the times you may have been speeding in the past, you are trying to make it up now? I don't understand. When I see a policeman and I am doing the speed limit or less, I stay on pace. Why should I slow down unless he has his lights on and s trying to get to an emergency, I am obeying the law and do not feel guilty about it.

Slamming on the brakes can be more dangerous and you could cause an accident. That is what you should feel guilty about. Maybe if you have a guilty conscience that is causing you to slow down so much, you should try to travel within the speed limit in the first place.It just frustrates me when all of a sudden there is a traffic back-up because people see a policeman on the side of the road. Retrain yourself - if you travel the speed limit and are driving within the law, no need to slow down of slam on your brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment